Monday, February 15, 2010

Rasberry Leaves

Baby season is just around the corner here at the farm. Our sheep and our lovely Black Walnut are due around the end of February. Udders are filling up, sides are expanding, and the expectant moms are happy to get grain and some really nice hay.



To my great surprise, as I opened up a new bale of hay, I was immediately pleased since this bale is full of rasberry canes and leaves. All of my pregnant girls are relishing this treasure. This fine, dry hay is a mixture of fescue, orchard grass, with a smattering of herbs and wild forbs AND it is not chemically treated. I personally thank Forrest Green Farm for hauling it out here in the midst of a burgeoning snow storm back in December.



For humans, as well as goats, raspberry leaves are indicated as the best tonic for easy births. Everyone, even those who don't have goats, knows that goats love brambles. Any goat on a diet of raspberry leaves is usually in great condition. Oftentimes, a goat keeper will move goats to new land and the goats will thrive on the brambles, clearing out the land in no time. Goats will also eat bramble leaves when ill and with no appetite for anything else.



It appears that red raspberry is high in vitamin C, especially the fruits of course. If you are a follower of Pat Coleby, you know that Vit. C, Copper, and Ca and Mg are the best remedies for a sick goat. Well, red raspberry leaves have them all. In fact, I like to pick my BIL, the chiropracter/vitamin guru, about health, and even about my goats (I've even made him check for structural injuries on an injured goat). I told him about the high copper needs of the goat, the relationship to Vit. C and the eating habits of goats. He said that there is a relationship between Vit. C and copper is fruits: copper is what binds the vit. C molecules together in fruit and plants. Interesting.



I, myself, have gone to great lengths to get my goats into brambles, risking prickers in my hands and hair. I do this with portable electric fencing and when the goats are dry (no milk) to protect their udders. You've never seen a more glossy, sleek animal as one who has been on a diet of brambles.

I hope this is a portent of an easy kidding season!

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait intill they lamb/kid!!!!! there going to be sooo cute!!

    ReplyDelete